Cooking doesn’t have to be boring. It doesn’t have to be difficult either to make a healthy, delicious meal at home. And, when we are short of time after a long hard day doing whatever we had to do, the last thing on our mind is to think of what to cook at home. An easy way out is to eat out, have a takeaway or a quick microwave dinner.
However, you have an option here. You could get a couple of chicken meats, marinade them, throw them on the grill or oven and serve with some green salad or vegetables. You could marinade the meat a night earlier and leave in the refrigerator.
My take on a homestyle grilled chicken which you could easily make at home as long as you have a stove or an oven. You don’t need a barbeque.
- Chicken thighs or breasts boneless
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 lemongrass chopped finely
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 tablespoon light soy
- 2 tablespoons caramelised dark soy
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Marinade chicken with all the ingredients. Leave in the refrigerator for at least an hour. The longer the better
- When ready to cook, spray the grill pan with canola oil. Heat the pan on medium-high heat. When pan is hot, place the marinated chicken and cook for 15 minutes before turning over. Grill the other side for another 10 minutes. The cooking time depends on the heat and thickness of the chicken. If unsure, use a knife and make a small insertion in the thickest part of the meat to check
- While chicken is cooking, prepare your side dishes to go with the meat – green salad or vegetables or your own choice of dressing
I served my grilled lemongrass chicken on a bed of baby spinach, some slices of tomatoes and cucumbers, a homemade spicy dressing with a bowl of flavoued quinoa.
You can now book your next cooking class in Penang and make delicious, easy to make homestyle dishes with Victor Khoo. Classes available on Saturday and Sunday in November and December 2018. Make your enquiry now.