“Tofu” is commonly known as bean curd in western countries. Widely loved by Chinese people, but loathed by most non-Chinese, especially the westerners, for its bland taste, unexciting and uninteresting to a person’s palate. This product has been produced for over 2,000 years during the Chinese’s Han dynasty. It is made from coagulating soy milk and then pressing the resulting curd into blocks. It comes in various texture – silken, soft, firm or extra firm – use in the different style of Chinese cooking. Tofu is healthy – it’s low in calories and high in protein.
As tofu is bland, it needs something else to make it interesting to taste better and yet nutritious. You can google and find many tofu recipes. Here is one of them, making use of silken tofu.
what you need to make this dish are:
- one block of silken tofu
- 3 eggs
- 2 spring onions
- 1 red chilli
- about 200 – 250 g of pork mince
- 3 shiitake mushrooms or swiss brown mushrooms
- Chop the red chilli, spring onions and mushrooms finely
- In a mixing bowl, add 2/3 of the chopped mushrooms (leaving 1/3 for making the sauce) and pork mince. Break an egg into the same bowl and add 1 tablespoon light soy, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil, 1/2 teaspoon white pepper and 1 cup water. Mix all the ingredients together
- Slice the tofu into equal sizes
- On a flat tray, spread the pork and mushroom mixture evenly. Gently place the sliced tofu on top in the middle. Break one egg each on either side of the tofu
- Place the tray in a steamer and cook for 15 – 20 minutes or until the pork is cooked. The time varies depending on the size of your tray
- Once the food is cooked, remove from the steamer. Gently pour the excess juice in the tray onto a bowl. You will use this liquid to make the sauce
- Heat some cooking oil in a saucepan. Once the oil is hot, toss in the remaining chopped mushrooms, follow by chopped spring onion and chilli. Fry until fragrant. Add the excess juice and one tablespoon of oyster sauce. Mix through evenly, then add a mixture of corn starch (mixed with water) to thicken the sauce
- Remove and dress over the steamed tofu and pork mushrooms. Ready to serve.