Penang is never short of things to do. As night falls and office workers head home after a busy day, Penang readies itself for its evening crowd by transforming into a whole new streetscape, from “pasar malam” (night market) in local neighbourhood to push-cart smorgasbord of street food choices and live musics in hidden joints.
Colourful neon signs spring into life, pop-up street vendors magically appear on side streets, night market and night time “kopitiams” or food courts – eerily quiet during daylight hours – burst into action with street vendors selling a wide variety of local cuisines and no shortage of diners perusing the food stalls for their favourite, local specialities.
Sampling the best nightlife in Penang is knowing where to eat, drink, shop and unwind. Let Penang Insights take you on an unforgettable evening food safari with a local experience on some of the highlights.
- Experience Penang nightlife at random, including a local neighbourhood night market
- Sightseeing driving around town
- Experience the local fare at one of the hidden Penang famous foodcourt or restaurant off the beaten track from all tourists
- Shop for knick-knacks, fresh fruits and local biscuits at a night market
- Pick up and drop off at hotels in Batu Ferringhi, Tanjung Bungah, Tanjung Tokong, George Town and cruise ship terminal
- Fluent English speaking local host
- Private air-conditioned car, includes fuel and parking
- Complimentary bottled water
- Food and beverage
- Alcoholic drinks
- Personal expenses
What to bring:
- Umbrella if it is raining
- Wear good walking shoes and light clothing
- Camera if you want to take photos
- Booking confirmation
- Photo ID (eg drivers licence)
- Some cash (approx $200 ringgit) for food and drinks, and if you wish to make any other purchase as most vendors and shopkeepers only accept cash
Price: MYR $250 per person
Duration: 5:30 pm – 9:30 pm